Dutch Plantin originated from a deeply rooted passion for sustainability. In the 90’s we expanded new treatments and applications for a natural residual product: the shell of coconuts.
Leader in coconut products
Our company grew to be a leader in sustainable coco products. Together with RHP Horticulture we developed the requirements for properly ‘buffered’ coco peat.
In 2012 we were the first producer of coco products that succeeded in buffering coco peat in a natural way. Unlike in the traditional process of buffering, we used calcium in its organic form. The result is Dutch Plantin Bio Coco, produced in The Netherlands and used in organic crops.
RHP label en IMO certificate
Dutch Plantin produces coco products in Boekel and Helmond (The Netherlands) and in several places in India. Naturally our production locations in Holland meet the RHP standards. Our biggest location in India (Bergtop) is not only RHP-certified: it also has the Swiss certificate of IMO for biological production.
There are countless examples of sustainability at Dutch Plantin. We are naturally sustainable!
We guarantee sustainable production through:
- Focus on efficient use of water and fertilizer in The Netherlands as well as in India.
- Natural drying of coco on paved surfaces in the sun, therefore gas or oil heating is not necessary.
- Storage in big warehouses to ensure our supply of coco products during the monsoons in India.
- Pressing of coco to minimize fuel waste. We can transport up to 300 m3 or 17,000 growbags in a 40ft container.
- Fair payments of the mills, so they can reward the farmers honestly for the coconuts that they offer daily.
- Good policies for health, safety and training of our employees.
- Community involvement, for example supporting cultural festivals on or near our production sites in India.
We are very conscious of our social responsibilities. Take water consumption as an example. Whenever possible, coco peat is buffered and washed in the Netherlands because water is less scarce in this country. Moreover, we pay a lot of attention to cleaning and recycling waste water. And our product itself also has social benefits. This is because, unlike peat, coco peat is a short-cycle raw material. Once peat has been dug up, it takes thousands of years for it to be replaced. However, coconuts just grow on trees which are an inexhaustible source of supply. Moreover, coco peat’s CO2 emissions are many times lower than those of peat. It is therefore a sustainable and environmentally responsible alternative.
We generate additional income for the farmers in our production countries because the husk is no longer sold just for the fibres but also for coco peat. Greater familiarity with the product means an increased income for local growers. And we also accept social responsibility for our employees. We provide reasonable pay for the local population and a separate pension scheme. Our employees are also insured through Dutch Plantin.